Thursday, October 10, 2013

Sudden Sensitivity After 6 Years

Here's the basics.  for the past 18 months I have felt like I am totally wiped out.  I refuse to accept that this could just be part of aging.  I didn't age twenty years in a months time.  Right?  That is exactly what I felt like.  No energy, can't stay awake during the day, no desire to get anything accomplished, working is a struggle, killer headache when I wake up in the mornings and through out the day, burning muscle pain, chest pain, light headiness, and the list goes on.  I have had EKG's done 3 times and blood work done twice that many times.  The conclusion - your vitamin B12 is extremely low.  Really!  That's it?  So - I start taking the supplement and after a couple of months, I have a bit more energy.  Everything else remains the same.  Conclusion, more of a question, number 2 - maybe you are depressed.  Again - Really?! 

It took me 18 months to finally take control and do something.  I quite taking all of my meds.  All of my supplements.  Within 48 hours I felt wonderful.  I just took 20 years off my life.  I realize that I can not go without everything so I added each back in, a day at a time.  First for the vitamin D3, as it is the most important of all.  Then the minute amount of Metformin when I eat sweets.  No problems.  Then for a tiny portion of Simvastatin; still no issues.  Now it has been 6 days of adding med back in and my acid reflux is really bad.  Bad to the extent that, when I wake up in the mornings, or after being asleep for a couple of hours or more, my mouth, throat and my lips are burning.  My lips are looking seriously sunburned everyday, even with lip balm.  So - I add in my first dose of Omeprazole.  BAM!  Within two hours I am falling asleep on the sofa while on the computer.  A few hours later I have a head ache and by night fall, when I am due to take another dose, the muscle cramps have returned.  Issue found.

I have extreme acid reflux.  The type that cause erosion of the esophagus and does some pretty ugly damage if not treated.  Going off these meds are pretty much out of the question.  Now - to find a new med that may work.  But this is not about the meds.  This is about the fact that after all these years, a sensitivity to this medication has developed.  I have been researching the reason why, but have found no concrete reason. 

20 months ago, my dosage was increased to twice the amount.  Could it be that
my body was able to handle the lesser amount, but when increased it just rebelled?  Did something just click?  I have tried, a couple of times, to take the smaller dosage of Omeprazole but the bad effects are almost instant. 


Lesson here -

I trust my doctor completely.  He is amazing.  But in this case, his thought that I would not suddenly be having a reaction to a drug that I had been on for so many years, is wrong.  I admit that my extreme allergy and sensitivities situations make life strangely different, but anything is possible.  Including an unexplained reaction.

If you ever doubt how you are feeling, consult your doctor and be aggressive about finding a solution.  I didn't and wish I had. 





No comments:

Post a Comment